Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Play Date Cafe Challenge #22

I have the privilege once again this week of being a guest designer for The Play Date Cafe.  This week's Creativity Challenge #22 uses the colors of sky blue, rosy burgundy, and taupe.  Now I have to admit, when I first saw this challenge, I thought," Taupe?  I don't know that I have any taupe."  Ah, but once I started digging through my stash of stuff, I found lots of it!!  It is very common in vintage and shabby chic styles of paper and ephemera.  This first card is a tri-fold type of card.  I found two little bits that had all three challenge colors in them.... a little German scrap bluebird, and a little reproduction birthday postcard from one of the Making Memories Vintage Findings kits.  I went from there, using patterned papers from Basic Grey's Wisteria collection (the blue/taupe) and Die Cuts with a View's Mariposa mat stack (from which I cut the curvy taupe part).  The posy is from Prima, and the words are cut from Crafty Secrets' Altered Fairy scrap.  The stamps are from PSX and Stampin' Up.  Here's another picture with the card opened up on one side.
So in my initial hunt for taupe, I had gathered so many colorful little pieces that fit the challenge, I went ahead and made another card.  For this one I wanted to try to stick with the travel theme that is suggested in the challenge photo.  
Once again, I used some patterned paper from the Mariposa stack from Die Cuts With A View.  The center bluebird piece (all three colors again!) is from Melody Ross's Urban Chic collection, and on the right-hand side is a tag from 7 Gypsies that I punched and stamped.  On the left is a little piece of ephemera from one of the Making Memories Vintage Findings kits.  The red and blue weren't exactly the right colors for the challenge, so I scanned the piece, reduced it in size, and fussed around with the color until I got what I wanted.  I know very little about this sort of color alteration in Paint Shop Pro.... I just play!!  I added a few more little bits and a little stamping.

I hope you'll give the challenge a try.... the design team has once again created some awesome inspiration pieces.  You can check it all out at The Play Date Cafe.  Thanks again to Julie, for giving me the privilege of guest designing this month!!  I've had tons of fun!

23 comments:

Lisa Somerville said...

Both pieces are wonderful inspiration for this weeks challenge. Just love the vintage images you've used.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

LOVE love love this! Great job on the color combo:) So wonderful to have you on the team this month~ Happy PDCC day:)

Julie Ranae said...

Jean....you and I were thinking alike. I actually looked through my Mariposa collection for something to use too! Also, the rest of the team really struggled with taupe as well, although that was the one color that didn't give me fits...go figure.

It has been an absolute PLEASURE having you a part of our team this month. It will NOT be the last : )

Your support of our challenge means the world to us.

Deborah March said...

Oooohhh YUM...just LOVE your style!!!

Hearts Turned said...

Gorgeous stuff, as always, Jean! I love it all!

Ruby said...

Hi Jean. I LOVE this, it's beautiful. I have to admit I was the same as you with the taupe, it's not something you pick up that much to use. I love this vintage style, it's so pretty!

Sarah Anderson said...

Jean these are both gorgeous cards, my favourite is the bird one. The colours work so well with those images. It's been great to have you on our team this month and look forward to you staying as a player in the cafe :)

Gerrie Johnnic said...

ohhhhh and ahhhhhh's! Just so beautiful, love what you did with the colors!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Oh My word - both of those cards are incredibly elegant but I favour the Parisian one every so slightly more - Paris always wins hands down. Your artwork is always so breathtaking. Lynne M

Michele said...

Wow! Gorgeous! Love both pieces.

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous creations, Jean!! I especially love the first one with the side opening, lovely bird and flowers!! Thanks for being such a fabulous guest for us at the PDCC!! Hugs!

Axes DesigNs said...

Birdie.. birdie... OMY it is so cute..

Nancy said...

Really gorgeous work, Jean! Congrats on being a guest designer, you have really inspired me!

Suzanne C said...

WOWzer! Love both cards! Didn't realize your first card opened so beautifully too!

Willy's creations said...

Beautiful creations you made.

Hugs,Willy

Willy's creations said...

Beautiful creations you made.

Hugs,Willy

Hels Sheridan said...

beautiful card hun xx

Debby said...

Oh my these are beautiful. Those colors are fabulous together!

Jacqueline said...

Just beautiful, love the vintage!

Anonymous said...

Both are just beautiful! What a great use of those colors!

Anonymous said...

Both are just beautiful! What a great use of those colors!

Hanne said...

Your cards are really beautiful! Love them both:)
Hanne

Debby said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! STUNNING!