Friday, March 19, 2010

Peacock Scene Backgrounder from Cornish Heritage Farms

Today Cornish Heritage Farms releases a fabulous new backgrounder called Peacock Scene.  This is one of those backgrounders that you'll want to showcase, it's so pretty - hard to cover it up and put it in the background. There are tons of fabulous examples from the design team in the gallery HERE - everyone sorta went wild with this one. :)

For my card, I did a resist technique, combining the Peacock Scene backgrounder with the French Script backgrounder.  So how about a little tutorial?

First, stamp the French Script back- grounder using dye ink (I used Memento Rich Cocoa) on ivory cardstock.  You will need to stamp it twice side-by-side.  Don't worry if it's not perfectly lined up, it won't be noticeable in the end anyway.



Next, stamp the Peacock Scene back- grounder over the top of the French Script image, using an embossing ink such as VersaMark.  Quickly pour a generous amount of clear embossing powder over the wet image, and tap around to get good coverage.  Gently bend the paper so that you can pour the excess embossing powder back into its container.  Heat emboss using a heat gun.



Now comes the fun part.  Gather up an assort- ment of dye inks - I used Ranger's Distress Inks in Broken China, Tumbled Glass, Faded Jeans, Crushed Olive, Peeled Paint, and Shabby Shutters.  With the lid still on the ink, push the lid down so that it touches the surface of the ink pad.  Take off the lid and you should be left with some pooling of ink on the lid.  This is your paint palette. :)  

Use a brush dipped in a little water, or an aqua painter brush to lift some ink off and paint in the areas of the image that are not embossed.  Use good lighting and have the picture of the image that comes with the stamp handy to get an idea of where you want to put each color.  However, don't be too worried about getting color in an exact spot - this technique is very free form and watercolor-like.


When you are done painting, gently go over the entire surface with a damp paper towel, to remove the ink from the embossed areas.


Next, layer a few pieces of scrap printer paper over the top of your image, and use a hot dry iron (no steam) to iron over the top of the printer paper.  This will melt the clear embossing powder, which will stick to the printer paper and leave your image much less glossy.  You may need to use an additional sheet after the first one, depending on how thick your embossing is.


Here's a picture of my finished image.









I cut the image down a bit to fit on a standard sized card.  I wanted to add a few photo corners for accent, but didn't have any good colors.  Copics to the rescue!  I got out my white photo corners and colored them using a coordinating Copic.  Then I adhered everything to the card base, and left it at that.  You could also add some pretty flowers, but I just couldn't decide where to put them, so I left them off, LOL!


Have a great weekend everyone, and thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

Hearts Turned said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Jean! Such a beautiful new stamp, and I LOVE what you did with it!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Zoechaos said...

Fabulous love the colouring and thank you for showing such an interesting and great technique.

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Stunning card, Jean! Very nice job with the card and the instructions!

Anonymous said...

Completely delightful! Great tutorial and such a wonderful finished look!

stampqueen said...

Beautiful - another stamp to add to the neverending wish list :).

Tiffany Ervin said...

Oh wow! One beautiful background, love the colors, thanks for sharing your technique!

Suzanne C said...

This is stunning... I should have known when I took a quick glance on the CHF blog that it was yours. :) Love this tutorial and the effect is stunning. I wondered how that was done!

Gorgeous card!

Melisa Waldorf said...

This is spectacular!!!! Wow! Thanks so much for the tutorial. Especially the tip for printer paper/iron at the end to take aways some of the shine!!

Unknown said...

WOW, This turned out absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for the great tutorial . I have never tried
This technique I might have to give it a try!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

My first impression - is this designer paper. Incredible. Lynne M

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful image and you used it beautifully

love Dawn xx

penny4thoughts said...

Terrific tutorial! Resist techniques are such fun to play with - great job showing this one!!

Holly said...

Just STUNNING! I love this card, girl, and your tutorial explains it perfectly. Now I wanna play! :-)

Debby said...

OMG. I went ooh and aah over each and every picture. You should have been here to hear me. I admired this backgrounder and thought how could I ever do it justice? Once again you have inspired me to SPEND MORE MONEY!!! Gorgeous!

carole said...

Fantastic coloring... I love this technic too but your atwork is very full of details... Beautiful project and not very easy.

Have a good day,
Carole