Thursday, March 18, 2010

Play Date Cafe Challenge #21

This is a big week at The Play Date Cafe - it's the first week of challenges with their new design team!! Congrats to all the fabulous artists joining the Cafe!  Each and every one of these ladies is wonderfully talented, and will be offering us tons of inspiration in the coming months.  I am also extra excited about the challenge this week because I get to be a guest designer!  Julie asked me to play along with them for this beautiful color combo: medium pink, pale pink, and pale yellow.  These colors are absolutely perfect for spring cards and projects.  For my card, I used K and Company's Cut and Paste paper pad, along with a butterfly transparency from Melody Ross's Homespun Chic collection.  The flowers are Prima, the sentiment is from Stampin' Up!, and the pleated trim is a vintage find.  I added a little Distress Ink here and there, a Stampington vintage label image in the background, and some Dazzling Diamonds on the butterfly. 

Here's a little tip you may want to think about, should you ever find yourself without the right color of cardstock.  I didn't have the perfect color pink cardstock for this card - none of my pinks was right with the K and Co. paper.  So I took a Copic marker and added color to the edges of a paler pink cardstock panel that I used to frame the images.  I often use my colored cardstock as a frame only, and adhere the layers to an ivory or white card base, which is what I did here.  So the only areas I needed to color were the very edges (1/8 inch all around).  The color isn't perfectly uniform, but that's okay, since my card has a vintage look to it anyway.  It's a good little trick to use if you're in a pinch.

You'll want to be sure and check out all of the new design team's creations, and try your own hand at this fun color scheme.  Be sure to link up your art at The Play Date Cafe.  Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

Julie Ranae said...

Jean....we are SO happy you are joining us for the next 2 weeks as a guest designer in The Cafe...it's a pleasure to have you!

Great minds think alike! Although my focal point was pink, the more I paired it with the deep pink, it looked 'peach'. By outlining the edges, it brought the lighter pink back into the piece...great tip : )

Hearts Turned said...

So pretty, Jean! Love this sweet card!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful card! Great choice of DP :) Love the flower & butterfly embellishments! Thanks for joining along with us girls at the Play Date Cafe!

Lynn Stevens said...

Its always a delight to stop by and see your Beautiful work, Congrats on being the guest designer this week at The Play Date Cafe! Adorable !!!!

Anonymous said...

So pretty and I love all the details! Great border!

LeAnne said...

Just gorgeous, Jean! You know I like anything vintage and vintage spring is even better! Congrats on being the GD!!

Jacqueline said...

What a stunning Spring card, love this!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful vintage creation, Jean! Great tip about using the Copic marker to adjust your color!! Thanks so much for being our guest designer at the PDCC!!

Hels Sheridan said...

Stunning and beautiful card Jean..this is gorgeous xx

Ruby said...

What a pretty vintage card! Love the tip about using the Copics, tfs. I've just started to get mine out again and shake the dust off them. It's lovely to have you as a guest designer over at the PDCC! I look forward to seeing your next creation! :o)

Lorraine said...

just been looking through your blog..love its very elegant classic style..my fav card is the moonbeam one but I like all your other ones too..thanks for commenting on my steampunk creations

Cindy Lee said...

Hi Jean! Thanks for visiting my blog and leave some lovely comment! You just made my day!

I've been looking at your work and boy there are stunning!! Love your vintage cards!!

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous! I just love all the details you put into this card. The flourish in glitter is so lovely.

Paul B said...

Such a pretty card. Love how you've built up all those layers together. Pxx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Congratulations on the Guest Designer spot.
This card is so fresh and evocative of Spring. Although it is extremely blustery and stormy in Scotland today. Lynne M x

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Welcome to the team:) Thanks for playing along with us as GDT!! Great take on the challenge! You really rocked it out--and thanks for the great tip! Can't wait to see more of your creations!

Lisa Somerville said...

Stunning Vintage Card! Congrats on being a Guest Designer at the PDCC!

Dazzled Nance said...

Congrats on being a Guest Designer at Play Date Cafe. Your card is gorgeous. I love that pleated trim. I found Gingersnaps via your blog too and I tried one of the techniques on there. That's a cool challenge blog. I am hoping I can try a challenge sometime.

Happy Almost 1st Day of Spring!

Heather Rogers said...

Congrats on Guest DT. Your card is lovely. This is one of my favorite packs of paper. The little chick is a great additon to the card. :)