Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vintage Paris Canvas

So I hopped out of my box again yesterday and created another canvas.  Actually, it's an "un-canvas" - an "artist's panel" that claims to be "better than canvas."  Whatever.... its un-canvas properties actually made it very easy to adhere paper to, so I went with it, LOL!

This project was inspired by two challenges...... at The Shabby Tea Room this week, there is this gorgeous photo and the word "reflections" to inspire us.  Oh, how I loooooove the look of this mantel arrangement.  I want it in my house this very second.  Inspiration abounds.....

And, a fairly new challenge at a blog called More Paper Than Shoes.  Why, oh why, didn't I think of that blog name first??? It describes my life in four easy words.  Anyway, this challenge gives a little list of rules - actually, items and techniques that must be incorporated into the challenge. So for this month, the theme/items/techniques are:

Metal
Acrylic Paint
Fabric
Crackle
Any surface

The design team over at MPTS is amazing - all of them.  But before I show you my close-ups and tell you all the yada yada, I have to show you the DT project that made my jaw drop... here is the pic - and if you love it, run, don't walk, over to DT member Megan Bean's blog to see the rest of this amazing little album of hers on THIS post. Oh, but DO come back, will you????

Okay, so for my little project, I started with Bon Voyage Paris paper from Gartner Studios.  Next came paint around the edges of the canvas, which was Distress Crackle in Antique Linen, distressed with Walnut Stain.  I added a few pieces of vintage text from an old French school primer after that.  The beautiful little lady is a stamp from The Fairest Flower plate from Oxford Impressions, stamped in Ancient Page ink and distressed with Antique Linen.  Surrounding her is a Tattered Angels frame with silver Vintage Art Glass Glitter.  Oh my, I love that stuff!  I splurged, I hoarded for a long time, but now that I've used it I can see the difference - the sparkle IRL is amazing, and I can't wait for the patina to gently tarnish.  This is the "reflections" part for the Shabby Tea Room challenge, too.

For the metal, I used some of T!m's flowers, which I bent a little with jewelry pliers to give them a little more depth.

For the fabric, I stamped images from The Fairest Flower, Paris Exposition (Artistic Outpost), and Stampin' Up! onto some muslin, frayed the edges, and adhered it to the not-so-pretty sides of my un-canvas.

One last little photo to show you how well I'm coming along with my hoarding problem.. this is a vintage crochet covered button, which I have only one of... and I put it on this un-canvas.  (Eeeeeee, I'm breaking into a cold sweat just typing it... okay, deep breaths.... fine.)  See?  Pretty good, eh? LOL!

Thanks for stopping by!  Hope you're all having a happy week.  Tomorrow I'll have a little card for the next Gingersnap Creations challenge... see ya then. :)

21 comments:

Terry said...

More paper than shoes!! That is too funny! Love your gorgeous canvas and the image is so precious! So stunning.

Lynn Put said...

This is beautiful!!! I love all of the details and your vintage style!
TFS

Netty said...

Totally fabulous. Annette x

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Absolutely beautiful - love it.TFS.
Have a great evening.
Hugs,
Marie

Meg Bean said...

Thanks for the sweet comments - I LOVE your take on the challenge. Especially that you used the "canvas" medium, fabulous paper, and that you were brave enough to use your vintage crochet covered button (I have the same hoarding problem hehe).

Hels Sheridan said...

Wow, this is truly STUNNING.. and thanks for sharing Megan's blog.. am off there now :O))

Debbie said...

Oh Jean, so much vintage loveliness on your design! Simply stunning! Welcome back to the Tea Room ... so glad you could join our challenge this week :)

the gypsy magpie said...

Oh. My. Gosh. This project is absolutely fabulous- once again, you've outdone yourself! Every detail on it is perfect (including the beautiful crocheted button- I got the heebies just thinking about what you must have gone through once you ACTUALLY adhered it. I, too, suffer from hoarding. Don't we all?!!!) I've missed so much this summer and am just now catching up on what you've been doing on your blog. Bravo, bravo!

Unknown said...

WOW.... This is amazing. I just love every little element of it..
Even that cute little crochet button..

Thank you so much for becoming a follower. It brought a smile to my face... Hugs, Linda

Audrey Pettit said...

Hi there, Jean!! What a gorgeous un-canvas project you have created here! I so enjoyed reading your comments and description....broke out into a big smile about the crocheted button. I know exactly what you're talking about with the hoarding. :) I adore all the mediums you've used here, from the frayed muslin, to the crackle paint, to that gorgeous vintage glitter. This is a true masterpiece. Thanks for sharing it with us at TSTR.

Unknown said...

You have done the most amazing job with these I love all things Paris related but it's not just that you have out done your self here hun so amazing!!

love Dawn xx

Anonymous said...

Love your un-canvas! What will they think of next. As for using up your only crochet button you could have used repositionable tape so you could take it off again, lol. xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Okay I am going to go completely OTT here - love the papers (I will dream about those papers tonight!), the glass glitter is stunning, that button and the fabric on the edges. I may have to "steal" that idea :) Have fallen head over heels in love with this art. Lynne M

Heather Rogers said...

This is amazingly beautiful! I will have to stop by and check her stuff out too. :)

Lynn Stevens said...

Stunning is the only word that comes to mind!!!

Anonymous said...

Wowzers! Your "un-canvas" is completely amazing! I love it! I haven't tried artist board yet, but you've inspired me to give it a go!

Sharon McGarry Sams said...

Jean,

That is just lovely! What is the "un-canvas"/artists panel made out of?

papertrails leaver said...

such a remarkable piece! Hoarding is not a bad thing in my book! Guilty as well of it! :-)

Katy said...

Oh I love it. So very delicate and feminine. I'd never have put a bling frame with such muted vintage shades but it works so beautifully!

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Beautiful! All the details are so pretty. Love the button! Now if you don't give this away, you could always 'recycle' the button again! Congrats on the honorable mention teacup for TSTR.

Kindra said...

This is so beautiful!! Thank you so much for playing along with our challenge at More Paper Than Shoes. Your work is stunning!