Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Paint with Gingersnap Creations

Hello bloggers! Today Gingersnap Creations has a new challenge for us.... use paint on our projects.  Now, you know I am primarily a card-maker, so I wanted to incorporate my favorite type of paints - watercolors - into my cardmaking.  Oh boy, did I have fun.  So much fun that I couldn't stop. :)

I started this little project by stamping my image (from The Girls set by Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous) using brown StazOn ink onto watercolor paper.  Then I got out my watercolors (had to dust them off first - sadly) and had at it.  You obviously don't have to be an expert at watercolors to add a little pizazz to an image - especially a collage image, where the line between one object and the next is a little, well, "indistinct."  Just a few colors is all you need.  But I couldn't stop there, oh, nooooo.  After I cut out my background papers (from the Ella Blue Collection by GCD Studios), I decided to distress the edges with those very same colors of watercolor paints.  (Why not?  I was about to do it with Distress Inks anyway.)  This also allowed me to make my blue paper a little *more* blue.  I added a touch of vintage lace to the edge of the image (this was safe from my paintbrush - it looked beautiful as-is).  Needed something a little more... how about vintage mother of pearl buttons.  Yeah.  Only..... hmmmmm..... got out that paintbrush, smothered them in Prussian Blue, then wiped off the excess.  I ended up with just a tiny tinge of blue in my buttons - love it!

Got any paints getting dusty in your stash?  Or maybe you are a painting mixed media-type goddess already?  We'd love to have you play along.  You can see what the other members of the DT came up with (hugely inspiring, I tell ya) and link up your project at Gingersnap.  A fun project to see us into the weekend, I think. ;)

18 comments:

Cath Wilson said...

Beautifully done. Can't believe how you've made a grungy image look so pretty, lol. Gorgeous shades of blue, too - my favourite colour.

Tina Connolly said...

Gorgeous!
www.scradiva-tina.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Nice to dust off the old WC palet isn't it? you have done another super job here

Love DAwn xx

Netty said...

This card is so beautiful, love it. Annette x

Terry said...

Stunning use of colors! Love the image and how you colored her so wonderfully! The lace is perfect and the touch of blue on the buttons, another perfection! Love it! What Watercolor paper do you use?

ScrappyPam said...

That image is so cute and you made it even lovelier! I'll have to get my paints out and play.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card. I love watercolouring but I usually use good old Whispers pens or Distress Inks. Have got some 'proper' paints somewhere so I must get them out. xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Incredibly beautiful. I spy papers which I recently purchased - aren't they gorgeous. Only for special projects :) Lynne M x

Daniele said...

just wanted to say many thanks for your wonderful comment you left on my blog I love all the inspirational projects you and the rest of the Dt's do and this weeks project is truly amazing
hugd from Daniele

HappyCrafter said...

What a beautiful card, and I really like how you tied everything together with a dash of paint here and there LOL!

Hearts Turned said...

Absolutely beautiful, Jean! Love your watercoloring skills! WOuld never have imagined that your paints were dusty!

Hope you're having a wonderful day, my friend!

Julie

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Lovely piece...love the paint challenge!

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

Jean, Ive always loved that stamp...but I especially love what you did with it here and the colors you used. Gorgeous!

Heather Rogers said...

Very pretty! And that little girl is just adorable. :)

Lynn Stevens said...

Incredible Jean you could stick this in a frame and sell it! I so Love seeing your work your so inspiring!

Anonymous said...

So very pretty! Love your watercoloring! Wonderful!

Sharon McGarry Sams said...

That is lovely Jean. How clever to add a little paint to the buttons! I must try! Love the lace too!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Beautifully done GF!