Tuesday, August 17, 2010

PDCC #42 Vintage Christmas in Green

Well, it's 94 degrees, sunny, and humid.... perfect time to start Christmas cards, don'tcha think?  Over at the Play Date Cafe this week, there is a color challenge with a most interesting and unusual photo, as you see here.  Camels, as far as the eye can see.  Never thought I'd type that sentence.  Anyway, the colors are dark brown, green, and beige.  So those camels and those colors got me to thinking of the three wise men, Christmas..... okay, maybe it's a stretch, but it *is* an inspiration challenge after all, LOL!

All of my images are from Artistic Outpost's  Snowy Woods plate.  I stamped using only Rich Cocoa and Cottage Ivy (Memento) and distressed with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink.  For the image, I got out my aqua pen and blended a little of the ivy ink only onto Santa's attire, just as a little accent.  I added a little Rock Candy Distress Stickles to the boughs to give them a bit of frosty shimmer (which of course does not photograph).  I did a little "messy stitching" (Yep, it's a look, I was going for that... LOL!) to add a ticking fabric panel behind the Santa.  Vintage, rustic, and mostly *flat* - my main goal this year with Christmas cards. ;)

Have a little look over at the Cafe..... you can still play along through midnight tonight.  And maybe get a jump on those Christmas cards. :)

19 comments:

Suzanne C said...

Love it!! Great use of the image and inspiration! Beautiful Christmas card and love your messy stitching! Thanks for joining us at the PDCC!

Terry said...

Let's see, with the heat we all have been dealing with and camels in the desert, you come up with a Christmas card! You are brilliant! Love your card!

Lisa Somerville said...

Just love the Old St. Nick from the Snowy Woods plate! Wonderful use of this weeks PDCC colors, beautiful Holiday card. Thanks for using Artistic Outpost images and joining us at the PDCC.

Unknown said...

Lol love yr train of thought? wonder if I have any trains can use for ths challenge? I really like your Christmas with not so traditional colours

Love Dawn xx

Daniele said...

gorgeous vintage christmas card love the teal green in the background
hugs

itsallrosi said...

love the look of this!

Netty said...

Such a gorgeous Christmas card, love it. Annette x

Vicki Romaine said...

I really like this vintage look esp. with Santa in green.

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Jean! Love all the green.. Thanks for playing with the Play Date Cafe!

SmilynStef said...

Love the holiday images in these colors ... wonderful inspired card (and way to go on the mailable flatness too).

Hearts Turned said...

Ahhh, Christmas....I can't wait! Love this most beautiful card, Jean--you have such a lovely style!

Hope your day has been wonderful...

Julie

Anonymous said...

Charming! I love that vintage Santa. Use him all the time!

Unknown said...

I just love that vintage Santa image you used. Well done.. I can't believe christmas will be here before we know it! TFS

Heather Rogers said...

So pretty Jean! Love the vintage Santa. It is in the 90's here too. It is finally cooling down a bit. We had 100's for weeks.

Elise said...

WOW, Jean! This card is Christmas-liscious! {Don't try to pronounce that out loud! Tee Hee} I'm ooooowing and aaaaaaahhhhing over the wonderful layers of exquisite images and your playfully "messy" stitching! hee hee What WONDERFUL use of the PDCC palette, yet again! Thanks for making it look sooooo good!

Lynn Stevens said...

Your way ahead of me I havent even thought about Christmas yet. Such a Beautiful card as well!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

I love that you thought of Christmas with these colors! I love that fabric and your stitching--just love it all:) Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC:)

Karen McAlpine said...

Fab card. Love Artisic Outpost. Super way to use the colors in the challenge. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

penny4thoughts said...

Such creativity to go from camels in the desert to....Christmas! Wonderful piece, Jean!