Saturday, July 25, 2009

Home Sweet Home - Cornish Heritage Farms Make A Scene Challenge


This is my very first attempt at making a scene-style card. It's my entry for the Cornish Heritage Farms Summer Stamp Star Design Challenge, which for this week is "Make A Scene." I tell ya, my Stamp-a-ma-jig has been resting quietly in a drawer since I bought it about a year ago.... until today that is, when I gave it quite the workout!!! For those of you who have never built a scene with multiple stamps, here's my biggest tip: Gather up the stamps you are interested in using in your scene, and stamp them each onto a piece of acetate using StazOn, aligning them with your Stamp-a-ma-jig. Then you can use your acetate images to play around with the arrangement of your scene. It sort of lets you know ahead of time what works, what looks too busy, etc. When you are ready to put ink to cardstock, start lining up your foreground images using your acetate images and your Stamp-a-ma-jig. Carefully remove the piece of acetate, and line up your stamp. When you are ready to do the images that are further in the background, make a mask for each of your foreground images and adhere them to your cardstock scene using removable adhesive. Sorry I don't have photos of each step, but I was learning as I went along!! Anyway, it's a fun technique (and a little time-consuming until you get the hang of it :)).

For this scene I used two Cornish Heritage Farms stamp sets: The Homestead (from the Scene It! line) and Sweet Bee (from The Rummage Bin line). My Sweet Bee set was actually blog candy that I won from Julia Stainton's blog, so I was very psyched to use it for the challenge! :) I colored the images with Copics and Prismacolor markers. Other embellishments include Hero Arts flowers, Stampin' Up! Hodgepodge Hardware, Martha Stewart ribbon, and Making Memories brads. All paper is from My Mind's Eye.

Thanks for looking - hope you're having a great weekend!! (You may want to check out Cornish Heritage Farms' last Summer Stamp Star Design Challenge, which is One Sheet Wonder.)

8 comments:

LeAnne said...

This is just lovely....and why I didn't participate in this---I would have driven myself crazy! The colors you've chosen are so pretty and calming.....of course, I love all your projects!
LeAnne

Susan said...

Jean, your card is so beautiful! Congratulations. And your blog is an inspiration!

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Great card, Jean, and most deserving of the win for this week! Congratulations again!!

Marlene (cards4u) said...

Congrats!! I am so excited for you - this is well deserved!! Have fun shopping : ) This is my first time to your blog - great stuff! I'm a fan of vintage too - will have to check some of these sites. TFS!

Anonymous said...

congratulations!! YOUR CARD IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. xx jo xx

Joyce said...

Just beautiful. So much imagination and thanks for explaining the procedure. I certainly will try it. You SO deserved to win. Congrats!

Colleen Kramer said...

I KNEW when I saw this card that it was the winner! It is perfect and very much frame worthy! So very happy for you! (So happy for me I found your awesome blog, too!)
Congratulations! Can't wait to see what you do with all your new CHF goodies!

Anonymous said...

I can see why you won!!!! Beautiful card!!!
I love the stamp a ma jig...it's out on my desk all the time!
Pam Going Postal