Monday, January 3, 2011

Single Layer Card Ginspiration

Things are back to a normal routine today - DH is back at work, the kids are back at school.  I love the holidays, love having the family around every moment.  But these days are nice too - sort of a sigh of relief after the hustle and bustle.  I have major post-holiday clean-up to do, but it'll get done.  I just had to get in a little craft time to coax my listless mojo a little more out of hiding!

Today I have another card inspired by the Gingers' Ginspirational Challenge.  This challenge was thunk up by Jo Capper-Sandon: to create a single-layer card.  Yep, no patterned papers, doo-dads, ribbons, rhinestones, brads... nuthin'!  You can see Jo's glorious creation HERE, soooo beautiful!

So, I first tapped a background stamp by Stampers Anonymous (Tim's Slight Alterations set) with a few distress inks (tumbled glass, broken china, shabby shutters, and peeled paint), then I spritzed the stamp with pearl Glimmer Mist before stamping it on linen textured cardstock. Next I stamped some favorite images from Artistic Outpost's Birds of a Feather set. It's hard to see, but as a little textural detail, I used one of the floral stamps to clear emboss a little border across the bottom.  Just a little subtle thing to add interest, like the pearl shimmer.  Last I added two stamped "photo corners" so that it looked like it was ripped from a bird watcher's notebook.  That's it.  Totally mailable, LOL!

I'm looking forward to more challenges to get my creative juices flowing.  For this particular challenge, you have until January 25th to try one or try them all - check it out at Gingersnap Creations

23 comments:

Netty said...

I love the concept of this idea and it looks smashing. Annette x

Jacqueline said...

Beautiful! I just love that bird stamp.

G Peplow said...

Hello there Jean, Happy New Year to you:0)
I have to say I love this one layer card, it's simplicity belies the art behind it's production, the colours are fabulous, I would have like to see just a little more of the gorgeous floral border but that's just me being picky LOL:0) xxx

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Fabulous just fabulous! I want to do one of these one layer wonders for Ginger too:) Am busy cleaning up my art room and still have house guests....omg,,,,so no time for art right now.
Happy New year....will blog about my fantastic candy of yours in the New Year.....this humongous
candy offer on the right sidebar is
really any stampers dream of an obnoxious giveaway isn´t it:):)

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely card and colours, well done!

joanne wardle said...

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love one layer cards, and this is wonderful!

Terry said...

Hard to believe how beautiful your card is with just one single layer! Love this!

Katy said...

OOohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, lush, lush, lush!!!!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful card.. It's hard to believe it's just one layer.. I love it! Hope you have a Happy New Year ahead of you. Can't wait to see all your creations for 2011.

~Linda

Lori said...

Ooo, hard not to add anything! lol! But you took on the challenge beautifully, this is awesome!

Heather Rogers said...

This is wonderful. I love the single layer look. Especially with the bird.
My son goes back to school tomorrow. :0)

Michele said...

so beautiful Jean! this is proof that stamps and ink can stand on their own! xo

Lynn Stevens said...

Stunning card Jean which is tough to do with just one layer, You rocked this one!

Unknown said...

Love this card. I'm so far from a one layer girl, but you give me hope to try. Thanks for stopping by today and sharing your 1 WORD. Love hearing from you Jean.

PetraB said...

Your one-layer card is just fabulous. The colours and stamping are beautiful.

Unknown said...

Love the whole thing on this one. Colours image just wonderful and all in one layer!

love Dawn xx

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Great card, you certainly added depth with your little tech!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You really rock one-layer cards! This is totally superb!

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful one layer card, love the look of the BG! Thanks for using Artistic Outpost images.

Zue said...

This is beautiful, the colours make it look so realistic, should be framed and placed on a wall.
If I saw this in a shop, I would buy it.
Sue xx

Jane Wetzel said...

What a very cool blog- so glad I found it! Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. :) Jane

Joanne Leddy said...

Oh my goodness - this is fabulous! I love the college look and to create it with images of nature just melts my heart. I love this. Thanks for sharing!

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous again...