Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gingersnap Creations' Coffee Filter Challenge

It's time for another fun supply challenge over at Gingersnap Creations, and since the theme this month is "Hot Beverages," the CG86 Challenge is to use Coffee Filters.  I love playing with coffee filters - it's so easy to stamp on them, and I love, love, love the effect of Glimmer Mists on coffee filters.  The filters are strong enough to withstand a decent soaking, so you can combine colors and get a really rich feeling. 

I don't really have much in the way of Valentine's-themed home decor, so I wanted to make a romantic little hanging for this challenge.  I sprayed my coffee filters with Glimmer Mists in Creme de Rouge, Bubblegum, and Coffee Shop (of course!).  I then used them for both the ruffle and for the sentiment at the top.  I wanted lots of shabby chic yumminess, so the base of the hanging is cardboard that I tore to show the corrugation and painted with ivory paint. The next layer is some vintage sheet music, then a swatch of fabric with some zigzag stitching around the edges.  The Tattered Angels frame is sprayed with Creme de Rouge, and that romantic image is from Scrolls Work (it's called Deb & Rick).  Some upcycled lace from a thrift shop blouse and some crinkly seam binding give it some more romance.  A key, a blossom, a decorative pin, some more silk ribbon, pearl, a rusty hanger - aaaah, I had so much fun, LOL!

You can check out all of the creative ways the design team used coffee filters over at Gingersnap Creations.  I urge you to try this - it's such an inexpensive supply, and even if you're strictly a tea drinker, you probably know someone who could give you a few coffee filters to play with. Stamp 'em, ink 'em, spray 'em, paint 'em - lots of possibilities.  We'd love to see what you come up with. ;)

17 comments:

Daniele said...

what a lovely hanging,never used coffee filters myself but the effect looks great
hugs

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous! Saw this in the reader and had to pop by because it is so very pretty! Great use of the coffee filters!

Lori said...

Who'd thunk it? Coffee filters in art, lol! I'm really lovin' seeing how people are using these, and your piece is totally gorgeous! Love it!

Sandi McLean said...

Love, love this! I am quite addicted to making holiday hangins - this is a sweetie!

Unknown said...

That is such a great idea.. I would have never thought of using coffee filter.. Your project is gorgeous.. Love it!

Unknown said...

Every time I think I've found my favorite project you've created and I bookmark it and study it and OHHHH and AHHHH over it, you go and create something I love even more!!!!

STOP THAT Jean!!! lol

Hope you have a fantastic day today

Netty said...

This is such a beautiful hanging, love everything about it Jean.
Annette
x

Terry said...

This is so beautiful and romantic! Love this hanging piece!

Deb (dcorder) said...

Just beautiful! I love the idea of coffee filter "ribbon". :D

Anonymous said...

Stunning hanging, Jean! I love the soft coffee filter ruffled bottom...so pretty!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Jean this is utterly breathtaking. Every aspect of it works to perfection. You captured Vintage Romance. Stunning, have fallen in love with this. Lynne M x

Lynn Stevens said...

Jean its yummy and such a great use of filters, I've never tried them before. You have inspired me to take a few and play!!!!

Zue said...

This is lovely. You have used the coffee filters in such an unusual way. The ruffle is pure genious. I have not used glimmer mist on them before, now, there is an idea!!

They are very versatile, aren't they and have such a lovely texture? But getting back to your hanging...you have used so many different elements including fabric.....it will look so good hanging up. Stunning!!!
Sue xx

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Romance is in the air, beautiful piece!

Jane Wetzel said...

wow- for sure I will have to try this coffee filter thing...this hanging is just incredible!

Lucy Edmondson said...

Absolutely love this, Jean. It's perfect,

Lucy x

jacirascrap said...

Ohhh, que lindo seu blog!!!