Monday, November 23, 2009

Vintage Christmas Stars - An Ornament Swap


This month our ATC club decided to swap ornaments instead of ATCs!  Since I can never settle on one favorite image, I made four each of three different designs.  I found the plain wooden star ornaments at JoAnne's (only 60 cents), sanded them, painted them ivory, and distressed the edges with some Ranger Distress Ink in brown corduroy.  For the center, I scanned the music for Silent Night taken from a vintage hymnal, cut it into stars, stamped a flourish (from Stampington) onto them, and glued them inside the inset portion of the star.  The Christmas images I used are from Crafty Secrets and Dover Designs.  Then I used one of my new favorite products - glow-in-the-dark glitter from Martha Stewart!  I glued it all around the raised outside border of the star - it will look so pretty once all the lights are turned off for the evening!  I embellished each star with some cuttings from Christmas floral picks, vintage buttons, ribbon, etc.  This was such a fun project, and in the end I don't think it took me any longer than ATCs would have taken.  I'm sooooo looking forward to seeing what the other ladies came up with!

Have a happy Monday - and remember, crafting is the only remedy for a Monday! :)

9 comments:

stampqueen said...

Beautiful ornaments!!!

Anonymous said...

Your ornaments are just delightful!

Ellen said...

wow, these are adorable Jean . brilliant idea.

Cindy said...

Those are great ornaments. Thank you for sharing the idea. I like your quote about the remedy for Mondays. My favorite craft quote comes from my favorite store Paper Source..."Do something creative every day."

Lynn Stevens said...

What Lucky swap partners you have!!!!

Suzanne C said...

These are stunning! What a great idea and yours turned out beautifully!

Unknown said...

Gasp! these are so vintage and gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

wow these stunning - what a lucky swap partner indeed!

LetsEatCake said...

I just saw your pictures on Pinterest and I'm so excited because I was at Hobby Lobby the other day and they had a couple of ornaments that were similar to this and I'm really into like the classic Victorian Christmas and the Retro 1950, 60s Christmas and so these would be so fun to make with some of the printables that I found on Etsy and I'm so excited that I found your post because it's giving me some really great ideas and it's only 8 years after you originally posted it so kind of fun, right?!