Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Rogue Mardi Gras Triptych

An ATC trio of sorts, this little set of Mardi Gras madness features the newest stamp set from Rogue Redhead Designs - Carnival Dreams.  I was going for a worn, washed look with these, so I started out by stamping the images on patterned paper with a faint vintage text print.  The first layer of color was done using colored pencils, mainly in shades of green, purple, and gold - the colors of Mardi Gras.  I wanted to keep a certain translucency to the coloring, so that you would still see the background (kind of like a fresco that had faded, showing the colors and textures of the plaster and stone beneath it, if that makes any sense to anyone but me, LOL!)  I kept adding layers of color, outlining the main couple in the center to make the image pop.  I then added in Distress Inks in Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters, Seedless Preserves, and Concord Grape.  I finished the trio off with some dresden gold elements and a bit of fiber and ribbon.  Here's a closer look at each panel:

10 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous Mardi Gras creation, love the colours and images. Tracy x

Cynthia Schelzig said...

lovely triptych!

Ana Márquez said...

I love them!! :-D Fantastic colours and layout! Thanks for showing them to us. In Spain Carnival is a great celebration, almost like in Brazil :-)

Big hugs from Free Vintage Images :-)
.

Daniele said...

these look great love the subtle painted effect of the backgrounds
hugs

The Sparkly Fairy said...

Fantastic - I love the images they are so unusual!

Lynn Stevens said...

Fabulous use of Shar's stamps. Bravo!!! clap clap clap!!!
hugs Lynn

A Vintage Chic said...

Beautiful Mardi Gras triptych, Jean! Your coloring is just fabulous! And I love your stampunk fairy in your earlier post--I need to do more of that style, I'm so attracted to it!

Wishing you a beautiful day, my friend!

Julie

Terry said...

What a fun triptych. The colors are wonderful and perfect for Mardi Gras!

Shar said...

Your triptych is sensational! So beautifully done and such a romantic look!

Ali Manning said...

What fabulous designs - I absolutely love them!