Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Play Date Cafe Challenge #PDCC81

So, do you ever start playing with colors and find you just can't stop?  That's what happened to me with this week's The Play Date Cafe Challenge #81.  Look at this gorgeous inspiration wallpaper in hues of deep purple, chartreuse, and silvery gray.  I started out wanting to play with glimmer mists and masks on canvas.  Then I had this wet mask on my hands, so had to stamp with it.... and on it went.  I'll start with the card first (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them if you'd like).

The card started with some hand stamped and misted patterned papers.  Behind the fairy is a paper that was made by stamping the wet, purple glimmer-misted Prima mask onto ivory cardstock.  I added some Stampington swirls in green, and some green distress ink.  I wanted the fairy to seemingly float over the patterned paper, so I stamped her in black on vellum, then turned it around and colored with Copics on the side opposite the stamping.  I cut her out and adhered her to the background paper (Copic side up), along with a fun little sentiment that was stamped on scraps that had various mists on them already.

Now for the background paper that is the main panel of the card.  Had fun with another item that's been sitting in my closet for a while: metallic silver tissue paper. 
First, I took a panel of very old Basic Grey paper that was, um, light grey, and stamped the script randomly in purple. I ran several layers of tissue paper through Tim Holtz's flourish alterations die, and adhered them to the panel using Golden soft gel medium.  After that was dry, I spritzed it with olive green glimmer mist.  I love how it turned out!  There's texture, shimmer, pattern.... my faves.  Here's a really bad photo that at least shows the shimmer:

Next up, that pennant (or bunting, if you prefer).  This was actually what I started with, stamping the violets in the center and coloring them with Copics.  I went over just the image with gel medium to protect it from the mists. 
After it was dry, I placed the mask over the bunting and sprayed it with purple glimmer mist, then dabbed the mist off of the image (the gel medium acted as a resist).  When that was dry, I stamped a green swirl randomly, added some chartreuse trims, the silvery word "Fleur" (stamped and silver embossed), some shimmery gray seam binding, and a few pewter brads at the top with a design that reminded me of the violet motif.  

I'm thinking it might be fun to do a whole series of these canvas buntings, each with a different flower. Then tie them all together - probably with that same gray seam binding.  Thanks for sticking with me for this very long post!!! Oh, almost forgot... the majority of the stamps used were from Oxford Impressions' Fairy Sweets plate. The swirl is Stampington, the script is Hero Arts, and the "fleur" is Rogue Redhead Designs.

20 comments:

Deb Walker Deb Stamps Life, LLC said...

What beautiful textures you used in this week's challenge! It was fun playing with these colors wasn't it!

Jinny Newlin said...

Such beautiful creations, Jean! LOVE the shine on the first, and that pendant... I'm swooning! Gracious, girl! You've outdone yourself! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!

Fiona said...

Great vintage feel on your projects Jean! Thanks for playing along at the PDCC this week :)

Elaine said...

Great colour scheme and two great projects - love them both. Elaine

Tracey said...

Both creations are FABULOUS Jean!! LOVE the vintage feel and your use of the PDCC colours!!! Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe :)

Unknown said...

These are Both AMAZING in every way.. I love the colors.. Reading through you tecniques make me want to pull out some vellum.. Hope you have a happy week my friend..

Hugs, Linda

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW! Both are so amazing! I love that vintage feel--but I also love the silver effect! BEAUTIFULLY done:) Thanks so much for playing along and joining in the fun over at the PDCC:}

Colleen Dietrich said...

Oh, swoon! Jean, I am especially loving that bunting with the violet on it. You colored it SO WELL, and I just am partial to violet images. I am SO happy you shared these with us at The Cafe!

Unknown said...

All of these look the bees knees he he lovely colour combo from TPDC but you have excelled this weeks challenge for sure

Love Dawn xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

All that hardwork paid off as both the card and bunting are so beautiful.
Wishes
Lynne

Daniele said...

two gorgeous creaions Jean, the colour combo is lovely
hugs

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, two wonderful pieces.

Lori said...

Absolutely gorgeous pieces, Jean, love the colors, and that tissue paper technique looks awesome!

Basement Stamper said...

Wow, this is a fabulous creation, I love the metallic silver tissue paper. Great job on the color challenge.

Libby Hickson said...

Jean these are so very sweet and totally gorgeous! Love every detail! Thanks for joining us at the Play Date Cafe this week!

Jessica G. said...

Gorgeous card -- this color combo is so perfect for the sweet, vintage fairy image! Amazing bunting to complete the set, too!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous and more gorgeous!

Jacqueline said...

I am always inspired by your art - just gorgeous!

Suzanne C said...

Love all the techniques and layers on these projects. Beautiful! Great inspiration! Love that silver tissue paper.

susanne said...

Gorgeous! I love all the layers ... this piece is so interesting!