Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Ravens with Gingersnap Creations

If you love all things Poe, all things Halloween, all things spooky.... check out the new Random Redhead challenge over at Gingersnap Creations - Ravens!  How fun is that?  Well, I can tell ya, I had tons of fun with this one.  I started with an extra large chipboard raven from Red Lead.  I painted him black, then went a little wild collaging all sorts of scraps to make him a party bird.  I had tested out my new Halloween stamps from Stampotique in the margins of some vintage sheet music.  I just couldn't part with that little scrap, so it became the bird's belly (my sick sense of humor... a cat in a bird's belly... yep, I'm losing it!).  There's some vintage German text, and scraps of old Halloween paper.
He's wearing a dapper hat that is actually a stamp from Red Lead (retired?), stamped in orange over patterned paper.  Also stamped some bats, added a rhinestone eye, and a beak from some scrapped alcohol-inked paper.  The ruffle is crepe paper edged with stickles.
Mmmmm, yummy kitty, LOL!  The "Nevermore" is made from stickers from the Apothecary Emporium line.

The bit from The Raven poem is from *this* stamp, stamped on an alcohol-inked background scrap.  (You can see some of my messy embossing... I just went with the grungy-ness of it all.)

And, if you need a bit more incentive to play along.. there's a wonderful Alpha Stamps giveaway to be had by one lucky participant in the Raven challenge.  Fun stuff, I tell ya.  I hope you'll check it out!

22 comments:

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Hi Jean
Glad you shared detailed photographs so we can take in all the detail on this piece of art.
Amazing texture.
Wishes
Lynne

Sandi McLean said...

Oh but I want to do a Raven JUST like yours! How oookie spooky delicious. I will pop over and see if another idea comes to me but I am lovin yours!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your scrappy raven, great idea! I love watching my crows and ravens here, they seem to like the tree in front of my window, and meet there everyday. And of course, they are very interested in the bird food on my balcony.... Valerie

Sue said...

Cool raven....love all the details especially his neck ruff!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I LOVE this bird and your sense of humor is right up my alley! Great job.

Unknown said...

Love this artistic Poe Raven you've done Jean. BRILLIANT!!!

Ana Márquez said...

A very ellegant vintage raven :-D
Thanks for sharing!

Netty said...

Oh wow Jean that is such a fab raven, loving the stamped collages, especially the cat in the raven's stomach....brill. xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How fantastic, it's an outstanding piece of art.

PetraB said...

This is a spectacular raven, I particularly love the textures and the collar! It looks fabulous.

Debi said...

Jean, I just love your raven, especially the little ruffle round his neck ;) TFS Debi x

Suzanne C said...

Fantastic! Love your patchwork Raven and the sly cat in the tummy! Very clever and fabulous!

2amscrapper said...

I am in love with what you made for this challenge!

Unknown said...

This is fabulous. And so creative. It looks like it would have been a blast to make.. I just love it..

Hugs, Linda

Lululiz said...

I love your sense of humour, the cat in the bird's tummy is so perfect! And the ruffle is so cute.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Loving your raven!

Heather said...

I just have to laugh...because Sandi (post up above)..and I love the same things :-) When I saw your creation at Gingersnaps...I thought..I want to make one of those!! This is just Spooky Gorgeous!! Love POE!
I sure hope I can create ones of these for the challenge...so inspiring!! xo Hugs
Heather

Sherry said...

Your raven is fabulous, I love all the great details.

Thanks for visiting my blog today and for your lovely comments on my PDCC entry :)

Marie said...

He's gorgeous! I would like to try something like this and maybe do a robin for christmas - maybe to hang on the tree? Who knows. Just gorgeous!

Please check out my blog if you get a moment....
minxnmojo.blogspot.com

Art Chick said...

Love your raven...so original and so beautiful!

Deb (dcorder) said...

EEP! I just love this guy! SO FUN!

Ali Manning said...

This is amazing, Jean - I adore his little ruffle!